Is Your Home Protected From the Silent Killer?

October 19, 2017
Last month, tens of thousands of Floridians in Hurricane Irma’s path were told to evacuate their homes to affirm the safety of their families. When they returned after the storm, widespread power outages throughout the state produced a looming danger in the form of carbon monoxide poisoning as many residents relied on generators as their only source of electricity.

Carbon monoxide, an odorless, colorless gas which can lead to rapid illness and death, is found in fumes produced by portable generators as well as stoves, lanterns, fireplaces, clothes driers, water heaters, furnaces and gas ranges or by burning charcoal and wood. Carbon monoxide from these sources can develop in enclosed or even partially enclosed spaces.

People and animals in these spaces can be polluted and even die from exposure to the poisonous gas. Everyone is at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning but infants, the elderly, and people with continuous heart disease, anemia, or breathing problems are more likely to become diseased from carbon monoxide exposure.

Each year, more than 400 Americans die from accidental carbon monoxide poisoning not linked to fires, more than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 are hospitalized. Because initial symptoms often mimic the flu and can be as common as fatigue, nausea, dizziness and headaches, carbon monoxide poisoning is often labeled as the silent killer.

The following are carbon monoxide poisoning prevention tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention:

Don’t run a generator, charcoal grill, camp stove, or other gasoline or charcoal-burning device inside your home, basement, and garage or near a window.

Don’t start a car or truck inside a garage attached to your house, even if you leave the door open.

Don’t burn anything in a stove or fireplace that isn’t vented.

Don’t heat your house with a gas oven.

Don’t run a generator, pressure washer, or any gasoline-powered engine less than 20 feet from any window, door, or vent.

As apparent in the aftermath of Hurricane Irma, it is not always known where probable sources of carbon monoxide poisoning exist. In fact, the number of cases of carbon monoxide poisoning generally grows in the cooler months ahead as many homeowners use their furnaces to keep their families warm and comfortable for the season.

Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning advises updating your carbon monoxide detectors every five years and checking your carbon monoxide and fire detectors each month to verify the batteries and alarm are working correctly.

Call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning today at 304-760-5088 or schedule an analysis of carbon monoxide and other harmful indoor air pollutant levels online.
Contact Us

Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.