When rough weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are things you can do to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you arrange for an AC repair technician to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Teays Valley Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during rough weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is completely off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a safe place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Teays Valley Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Hurricane, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for bad weather in Hurricane or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 304-760-5088 or schedule an appointment with Teays Valley Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.