When bad weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot that comes with it. Staying safe and protecting your home are your top priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a small bit of time to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair technician to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your steps worked.
At Teays Valley Service Experts, we know that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time likely will not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to ensure it is totally off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets tossed around during bad weather. Just ensure you have turned the system fully off before covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are kept in a secure place so that they don’t get thrown around during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to head out of your home, be sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Teays Valley Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly check out your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Hurricane, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avert any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for severe weather in Hurricane or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 304-760-5088 or schedule an appointment with Teays Valley Service Experts through our online scheduler.