Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. This odorless and colorless gas is called the silent killer because it’s essentially undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as specified by the CDC, is produced by stoves, gas ranges, boilers, furnaces, and fireplaces so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the winter months when people are trying to heat their homes. To help keep your home safe, Teays Valley Service Experts is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Place a CO detector on each floor of your home and swap out the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as clothing, rugs, or bedding, at least three feet away from fireplaces, furnaces, stoves, or space heaters.
- Before igniting a fire in the fireplace, be sure to check to confirm the chimney damper is open and unobstructed.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Shut off space heaters and confirm all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be positioned on the floor, and on a hard, incombustible surface, like porcelain tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, invest in a model that powers off automatically if the heater tips over.
- Don’t use a stove to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have all stoves, fireplaces, chimneys, and all types of furnaces professionally inspected and cleaned every year.
The ideal thing you can do for your heating system is to make sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your family warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Teays Valley Service Experts will check to make sure your heating system is operating safely with a complete multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 304-760-5088 today and find out how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.