Preventing it from happening is the most important place to start. Completing correct safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in Hurricane.
Here are a couple steps you can take to keep your family protected:
- Heat up your car out of your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so don’t leave yours on in the confined space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills for heat. These appliances are safe when run right but can make carbon monoxide when on for an extensive period of time in little spaces.
- Don’t operate a gas generator indoors, as it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney inspected by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected correctly.
- Verify gas appliances are running properly, including your furnace. You can make sure you’re receiving efficient, safe operation by requesting yearly furnace maintenance with Teays Valley Service Experts.