Stopping it from happening is the most crucial place to start. Doing appropriate safety precautions will decrease your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning in Hurricane.
Here are several steps you can take to keep your family safe:
- Idle your car out of your garage. Cars are a major source of carbon monoxide poisoning, so never leave yours going in the confined space of a garage. The same is true for gas equipment like lawn mowers or snowmobiles.
- Don’t operate ovens or grills for heat. These things are safe when run right but can produce carbon monoxide when on for an extended period of time in small spaces.
- Don’t run a gas generator indoors, as it creates fumes.
- Have your chimney examined by a professional. This confirms chimneys and vents aren’t clogged and connected correctly.
- Check gas appliances are running properly, including your furnace. You can make sure you’re getting efficient, safe heating by booking yearly furnace maintenance with Teays Valley Service Experts.